Today I was drunk dialed. By a patient. At work. At 10:40am.
The back story is, another psychologist on the hospital psychology consult service (which I manage) has been following a patient who is a chronic alcoholic (24-36 beers per day anyone?) with an injury requiring medical care. But, the patient is not willing to stick to the hospital protocol for managing alcohol withdrawal, so he keeps checking himself out of the hospital to get drunk so that he doesn't go into DTs. But then he comes back through the ER when he needs medical care.
It's actually a total nightmare of a situation, both for providing adequate care, and for figuring out the legal and ethical issues (e.g., would it be safer to just supply him with beer in his hospital room? Is that really any different than providing massive doses of benzodiazepines, which the hospital will do to prevent DTs? Can we hold him against his will in order to provide adequate care?).
But, today, I got a phone message, that was prefaced by about 5 seconds of background noise, leading me to think I'd been pocket dialed. But then all of a sudden, an enthusiastic voice jumped in and said: "Bridget! It's (patient's name)! I'm at Harborview Medical Center! 206-744-####" and then he hung up the phone. The most awesome part of this is that I have never met him, and I have no idea how he got my name or my phone number. I think he was just randomly dialing numbers from his hospital room, got my office, and learned my name from listening to my voicemail. I'm 95% sure he has no idea who he called.

st
k
ng)
)
No comments:
Post a Comment