blue·stock·ing (blstkng) n.
An educated, intellectual woman.

bid·dy (bd) n. Slang
1. A woman, especially a garrulous old one. 2. Nickname for Bridget.


Sunday, January 15, 2012

Western Washington Winter Weather

Today it snowed in Seattle. There has been very little accumulation where I am (there's snow on the grass and the rooftops, but the roads are clear) but just about 10 miles north of here they got 7 inches of snow today. More snow is expected for tomorrow, and since it's a holiday, I hope it snows a lot! I like snow when I don't have to go anywhere, and we get so little of it here.

This fall and winter the weather has actually been uncharacteristically nice in Seattle. We have had a lot of sunny days (for Seattle), and less rain than usual. I'm also glad that we're getting past the darkest days of the year, and starting to move toward slightly more reasonable daylight hours. Last week one day as I was walking to my car at the end of the workday (4:30pm for me), it was sunny, and really bright. I actually found myself thinking "what is that bright orange light in the sky?" and then laughed out loud at myself when I realized it was the sun setting over the Olympic mountains (I can see both Mt. Rainier and the Olympics from the parking lot at work). We're relatively far north, so sunset is very early in the winter. This was literally the first time since mid-November that I could have possibly seen the sun as I was leaving work, because the sun has set before 4:30pm until last week. I can't wait until the sun is actually up when I wake up in the morning, and remains up long enough for me to jog in daylight after work, but it will be quite a while before that happens.

Last night, for the sake of fun and coziness (and because we had a few people over to watch a movie), we baked sticky buns. Jeff actually did all the baking, I just found the recipe (in this book) and "consulted."

Here they are ready to bake:


And post-flip after coming out of the oven:
They turned out to be absolutely delicious (though we made a few mental notes for next time, like pecans are a definite yes, and the cinnamon sugar filling needs some butter in it).

Time to end this post, and have some leftover sticky buns and tea! (Your cue to be jealous) :)

1 comment:

elaine said...

Cue taken, mail me some buns!