blue·stock·ing (blstkng) n.
An educated, intellectual woman.

bid·dy (bd) n. Slang
1. A woman, especially a garrulous old one. 2. Nickname for Bridget.


Saturday, December 21, 2013

Ice Storms and Expensive Postage

Tomorrow we leave very early in the morning on a flight to Toronto. Unfortunately, there is a huge ice storm throughout southern Ontario, and many flight delays and cancellations are predicted. Fingers crossed that we make it!

About 10 days ago, Canada Post announced that there will be a 59% rate increase on stamps in the coming months. About a week ago, I went to the post office to buy stamps. When I went to enter my pin for the debit card transaction, this is the amount that came up:

Everyone there got a bit of a kick out of it – "I thought rates weren't set to increase until 2014!"

And now I must go finish getting ready for our flight which may be delayed or canceled, but for which we will be getting up at 4:45 in the morning anyway, just in case it is not. Have a very Merry Christmas everyone!

UPDATE: Our flight is delayed by 6 1/2 hours, but of course we weren't informed of that until we got to the airport at 5 AM, so we checked our bags and came back home to try to get some sleep. I slept on and off, relatively poorly, for about 3 hours, which is more sleep than I would have gotten if our flight was on time. There are serious advantages to living only 5 minutes from the airport, because if we get word that there has been a change in the delay, we'll be back at the airport in no time. Then a little after 8 AM, we got a call from Jeff's sister informing us that their power was out and there was no estimate as to when it would be restored. Fortunately, it came back on within the hour, so we didn't have to try to scramble to find a hotel or anything like that. It is an odd mix of crazy travel, and hanging out at home sort of doing nothing, but I am so glad we're not stuck at an airport somewhere!

No comments: