blue·stock·ing (blstkng) n.
An educated, intellectual woman.

bid·dy (bd) n. Slang
1. A woman, especially a garrulous old one. 2. Nickname for Bridget.


Sunday, January 12, 2014

Snowman in Relief

The past couple of days have been much warmer than the frigid temperatures we had been experiencing. I went out this afternoon, and when I got home it felt almost balmy at -4°C/25°F. The sun also broke through the clouds that have been predominating, and I decided that it was the perfect day to try to build a snowman.
Out in the backyard, preparing the perfect spot.
However, I discovered that even on a warm day like today, the snow is much too dry to stick together. It's just powder.

On my knees, sunken into the snow.
I was still determined to build a snowman, so I came up with a solution: I found the biggest mound of snow in the backyard, and carved a snowman into it. When I told Jeff about my plan, he asked "like Mount Rushmore?," and on a much less grand scale, that was my intention.

Snowman in Relief
In other exciting news, I got a Segway! I was a bit ambivalent about it, but Jeff argued that if it improved my quality of life even a little bit, we should get it. I got it in time for the start of teaching, and have been riding it to and from classes. It feels a little strange, and I do get a fair number of comments and people asking about it, but so far it also has been helping me save a lot of energy that before was wasted on walking around campus. Last week I was able to come home and use the treadmill after work, or do some Pilates, when before I would have been so tired that I would just sit on the couch. I think the pros clearly outweigh the cons, and I'm sure that people on campus will eventually get used to seeing me on a Segway, so that I won't feel so much like the center of attention wherever I go. I keep forgetting to get a video of me riding, but hopefully I will have something to post here soon!

1 comment:

Emily Neuhaus said...

Gorgeous snowman! And congrats on the Segway - sounds like a good decision!