blue·stock·ing (blstkng) n.
An educated, intellectual woman.

bid·dy (bd) n. Slang
1. A woman, especially a garrulous old one. 2. Nickname for Bridget.


Monday, February 10, 2014

Little changes that mean a lot

Last Thursday my physical therapist Ruth took these videos of me walking:




Compare these to videos of me walking a little over a year ago:





The thing is, that in some ways the differences are very subtle – tiny changes in the speed with which I'm able to shift my weight, tiny changes in balance, tiny changes in how well I'm able to steady the movements in my arms, legs, and the rest of my body, and even tiny changes in how I hold my head. It is amazing how these tiny changes can add up to being able to walk or not (at least without support). I am fairly pleased with myself, and feel like my hard work is paying off – in the past week or so, for the first time since my surgery, I have a little bit of a natural arm swing with my left arm.

My physical therapist thinks that using the Segway (and thus not practicing "bad" walking so much) is allowing me to make improvements that I wasn't able to make before. I can only walk that well for a very short time, but if I can do it at all, I can practice and get better, and eventually do it for longer. At this rate it will be quite some time before I am able to comfortably go out in unfamiliar places without a cane or some other walking aid, but I have to remember that slow, steady progress is still progress, even if it feels like it is taking forever!

1 comment:

Emily Neuhaus said...

Oh my goodness, Bridget!!! The difference between those videos is INCREDIBLE!! Your work is definitely paying off - you're looking great!