Last week was the first week of school, but it was a partial week and I only taught one class. This coming week will be the first full week, and will involve making adjustments and getting back into the swing of things. I am teaching an undergraduate class that I have taught multiple times before (a 200-level personality psychology class), and a graduate class that I am teaching for the first time (an advanced courses on psychological interventions). I am not at all nervous about these classes; I am quite comfortable with the material and I'm actually really looking forward to this semester's teaching. What I am nervous about is two classes that I have signed up for: deep water aquacise and yoga.
When I was in college and graduate school, I often signed up for PE classes; I took everything from lap swimming to African dance to yoga and Pilates. However, this is the first time since my surgery that I will be taking such a class, and I am very nervous about the idea of trying to fit in and adapt to classes for "normal" people. The main issues with aquacise will be getting in and out of the pool, and managing the wet floors and shower in the locker room; I expect that I will probably be able to do all of the exercises. With yoga, it is the opposite – I will probably look pretty normal until it comes time to do anything that requires balance (which will be often), and then I will have to either modify or skip a lot of exercises in the class.
This feeling is familiar. It is the same feeling that I had many times when I was young and approaching the first day of school, knowing that there would be many unknowns, that I might not fit in, and that I would have to figure out how to overcome as yet unknown obstacles. It is both uncomfortable and exciting. Today I did a little back-to-school shopping to ease my nerves: aqua shoes to wear poolside to help avoid slipping, toiletries to keep in my locker room locker, and even a little shower caddy basket from the dollar store to keep them in. I am as prepared as I can be, and of course it will be fine, but I still have a few butterflies in my stomach!

st
k
ng)
)
No comments:
Post a Comment