blue·stock·ing (blstkng) n.
An educated, intellectual woman.

bid·dy (bd) n. Slang
1. A woman, especially a garrulous old one. 2. Nickname for Bridget.


Sunday, August 23, 2015

Hot and cold

We are in the final month before my due date, and all of the major important baby prep things are done. It's a good thing they are, because I am less and less able to do things. I have one more busy week at work, and then that will mostly be done too, although there may be a couple of things that I have to deal with from home after my maternity leave officially starts. I am starting to feel like we are prepared in the sense that we have done all the things we are supposed to do, but everyone tells us that we will never really be prepared because having a baby is not something that you can understand or prepare for until you do it. So that is where we are at the moment.

The part about me being less and less able to do things stems from me getting bigger and bigger, my feet being swollen more often, and generally being very easily fatigued. Our regular obstetrician was on vacation last week and so we saw someone else from the office, and she noted that I was "measuring big" and that although my regular obstetrician had said it was still within the normal range on previous visits, on this visit she thought that my growth was rapid enough to warrant an extra ultrasound to make sure that everything was okay. So I had an ultrasound on Thursday, and depending on where you look and what statistics you go with, the baby is measuring within the normal range, but somewhere around the 90th percentile. So there are no problems (like extra amniotic fluid or other things that can be signs of a problem), just a big baby. I feel kind of huge, and it is a little bit validating to be told that yes indeed I am kind of huge in an objective sense. But I am happy that the baby seems to be healthy, and it is certainly better to have a baby who is measuring big than measuring small, because even if the baby were born today it probably would not be considered low birth weight :-)

One slight issue/battle that is going on in our house at the moment is that I am constantly hot, which means that Jeff is constantly cold. The air-conditioning is set to a level that is colder then Jeff would prefer, and this has been the same all summer. This morning was a very crisp cold morning for August, and I decided it would be a good idea to take advantage and open a bunch of windows. This brought the temperature of the house down below even what the air-conditioning is normally set at, and Jeff has been freezing all day long. I normally like things warm, and normally get kind of annoyed when the air-conditioning is on all the time, but I now have a new appreciation for what it is like to be hot. Being more than 30 pounds heavier than I usually am, it doesn't matter how little I am wearing, I can't seem to get cool enough. I brought ice packs to bed last night even though the temperature outside was down to about 5°C/41°F. Jeff does not like that he has to wear a sweater indoors in the summer. I totally get his point of view, but right now if the house is not cold, I am beyond uncomfortable. I told Jeff that this will only last for a few more weeks, and he asked what if it never goes back to normal. Thinking about it, if that were to happen, it would be an awfully good thing that we live in Saskatchewan so that at least I can be comfortable in the winter!


No comments: