Wednesday, August 19, 2009
walking
The other day I realized that I hardly ever walk anymore. When I first got here I was walking to the grocery store, but lately I've been more rushed, so I just make one trip a week and drive (it's too heavy to carry a week's worth of groceries). Also, I can't really walk to work, because it's about 2 miles away, I'd have to cross a freeway on-ramp or off-ramp with no crosswalk, and there is a massive hill (seriously massive-- I've never seen anyone make it all the way up on a bike without getting off to walk) through pretty heavy traffic. Plus I have to wear nice clothes to work now, and that means that even if I did want to walk (or bike), I'd somehow have to carry my work clothes and keep them from getting wrinkled, and change when I got there. So walking to work is just not a good option. I've been consistently going for jogs 3 times a week, but back home I used to do that plus walk to and from work every day, go for walks around the neighborhood, and have walking meetings every so often. Here, I don't really have anyone to go for walks with, and plus there are not that many hours in the day, to just go take leisurely walks. Although Jeff has made fun of me for saying this, I fear that my health may be in danger from lack of walking. One of my co-workers was similarly not concerned when I mentioned this today. But this lack of walking must be having some physical impact, don't you think???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

st
k
ng)
)
4 comments:
Yup, you're being silly.
Mental health is health, too...walking is a good time to think things through slowly with no distractions. I think you will go crazy soon.
Don't forget that every time you go to the bathroom, you walk. perhaps you should get a pedometer to measure how much you actually are still walking! I wouldn't worry about it, but perhaps you can make walking a fun, leisurely, weekend activity. on the beach. or get a dog - that makes people walk more. I can offer you a chocolate lab with a sweet disposition ;).
Also, I say "Bravo" for managing to jog three times a week while on internship!
Post a Comment