Today is the 8th anniversary of my first date with Jeff. We have our wedding anniversary in August, but we have our "hallowversary" on the last day of October. We always seem to celebrate with candy, pumpkins, and costumes for the occasion :)
Our first date started out as a "not a date," when we decided to go together to a group-costume themed graduate student halloween party. Since the party was to be held on the weekend after halloween, we decided we would spend the evening of halloween making our costume. It quickly progressed to an "is this a date?," when our costume idea failed, and we decided to just forget it and watch a movie instead (Top Gun; obviously Jeff's choice). It then turned into an actual date when Jeff pulled a very sly (not at all sly) arm-across-the-couch move when I got up to get the movie out of the VCR, and when I came back to the couch I had to decide whether to sit far, or sit close. I chose to sit close, and eight years later, here we are :)
One thing I really missed when I was in San Diego was a real fall season. I know that some people say that the northwest only has two seasons (summer and rain), but that's just not true; fall is very distinct here. I am very much enjoying watching the leaves drift off of the trees in our yard, and having the opportunity to start wearing scarves and woolly socks again. Of course, being in a larger city it's not quite as easy to get out to a local farm for harvest activities (pumpkin picking, apples, etc.), so I still miss that. And I wish I could partake in the long-standing tradition of attending the mushroom festival, but alas, there is nothing quite like it for the city-dwellers up here (at least not that I know of).
I guess I will have to be content with knitting, drinking tea, and making apple pie (which I haven't done yet this fall, but doesn't it sound good? I promise pie to anyone who comes and visits).

st
k
ng)
)
No comments:
Post a Comment