As bad luck would have it, it appears that the cavernous malformation in my brainstem is bleeding again. I am numb on the left side of my face and in my right hand, and I have extremely uncomfortable vertigo and developing nausea. So this kind of sucks.
It's definitely disappointing to have this come up again. Re-bleeding is most common in the first 2 years after an initial bleed, and some people never have another bleed. I was hoping I would be one of those people. Each re-bleed indicates increased chances of a future bleed, and thus increased chances of more serious or more permanent neurological symptoms/deficits. So yeah, this definitely sucks.
But, compared to how things were 2 years ago, when I had my first bleed, I at least feel like I'm in a better place to deal with it. For many reasons.
First, I am living with my husband now, and two years ago I was not. The benefit of this, in both practical and emotional terms, is huge. My friends in SD were extremely helpful when I went through this before, but the whole lot of them could not add up to one Jeff in this respect (sorry guys).
Second, I know what the heck is going on this time. I am not totally freaked out, wondering exactly what this is, what I'm supposed to do, and whether I'm going to have to have brain surgery. There is uncertainty, sure, but I know exactly what that uncertainty looks like.
Third, I already know some tricks for managing these symptoms. For one, I know that exercise doesn't hurt, it helps. So yesterday Jeff and I did our 12-mile training run, as planned, and my symptoms felt a little better for a couple of hours (despite being physically very tired).
So it could be worse. I handled it once, I know I can handle it again, and I'm hopeful that once again the symptoms will eventually resolve. And hopefully for good this time :)

st
k
ng)
)
2 comments:
Oh no, yuck! I'm sorry that you're not feeling well and am in total admiration of your positivity!!! Hope the symptoms go away soon.
: (
I read this the other day but apparently my comment didn't stick. I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope you've found some relief in the past few days. You'll continue to be in my thoughts.
Post a Comment