Earlier this week Maren decided she wanted to skip right over "girl" and go straight from baby to woman:
In all seriousness, I have been having my first bit of sadness over how fast Maren is growing up. I know that she is only four and a half months old, but in the last couple of days I have started feeling like she doesn't need me as much as she used to. Obviously she still needs me very much, and I am realizing that this is the very beginning of what will probably be a constant source of a little bit of sadness for the next eighteen years or more. It seems kind of ridiculous at this point, but she really is so grown up compared to what she was a couple of months ago.
I think part of what is spurring these feelings is the fact that she has started sleeping long stretches (over the past couple of days, and I am fully aware that this could change tomorrow). Two nights ago she slept for seven and a half hours without needing to nurse. Unfortunately, I woke up after four hours, and could not get back to sleep. I think part of it was that I was waiting for her to wake up and need me, and then morning came without that ever happening. It should have been a fabulous night of sleep but instead it was one of the worst I've had in a while. Last night was similar – she slept for five hours, then another three or so, but I couldn't get back to sleep after her 3 AM wake up. I feel like I am squandering a wonderful gift I have been given, because a couple of weeks ago I was only dreaming of this kind of sleep opportunity. I am hoping that tonight is another good night of sleep for Maren, and that I am able to take advantage :-)
One gift I have taken full advantage of is Maren's developing laughter and sense of humor. For my birthday, which was last Wednesday, Maren gave me this:
She laughed pretty much continuously for what felt like forever, but Jeff tells me it was probably about fifteen minutes. She was really tired, and this may have contributed to everything seeming funny, but she has had some wonderful shorter bouts of laughter, I think every day since then. I can't express how amazing it feels to hear that laughter – there may be a bit of sadness as she grows up, but it is far outweighed by the excitement, joy, and pride I feel :-)

st
k
ng)
)
No comments:
Post a Comment